Monday, May 7, 2012

Damon

My brother's 40th birthday is this week.   He has now been missing for the past 8 years.  To mark the occasion, our Dad has taken out an ad in the Anchorage Daily News.



  I guess now is as good a time as any to tell his story...

There is so much to tell, that it is hard to know where to start.  I guess we'll start at the beginning.

The year was 1972 on a warm spring day... Too far? Well okay, let's jump ahead.

March 30,  2004, appr. 6:30 a.m.- I received a call from Officer Macully with APD. He told me they were " investigating suspicious activity involving your brother".  Shit...that can't be good.  He went on to tell me that my brother's truck had been parked at a local lake for several days without moving.  He knew this because there was snow built up on top and around the truck.   Upon further investigation he learned that the truck had been parked there on the 28th as well but the officer who saw it at that time didn't think anything was remiss because of the lack of snow on it then.  At present time, he searched the truck and found that the doors were unlocked, the keys were inside along with my brother's cell phone and my brother's dog, Scully, was in the back under the camper shell.  All of this information was atypical of my brother.  We grew up in Houston, no one leaves their doors unlocked.  His cell phone wasn't just the way his friends and family got in contact with him, it was also his business number, he was never far from his phone.  And his dog was a faithful companion, one that he had spent a fortune to rehabilitate after an accident when others had said just to have her put down.  Something was very wrong.  And I  was the one who had to break the news to my parents.



Based on witness accounts and evidence, this is what we are able to piece together.

March 25th, 2004- I spoke with my brother by telephone, we discussed his court case to determine custody of his infant son.  He told me an arrangement had been agreed upon, but he was going to have his attorney review it at their meeting on Monday.

March 27th, 2004-  He worked that morning and had arrangements to pick up his son that afternoon for his overnight visit.  He also spoke to our Granny that day.  He made a deposit at the bank and went shopping at Walmart for Easter supplies and things for his son.  Sometime in the course of the day the plan changed and instead of going to pick up his son, he merely went to visit his son in the home of his ex.  And this was the last he was seen.

For those that don't know, it is not a crime to disappear.  An adult has every right to just walk away from their lives.  But those who knew my brother will tell you that Damon had no reason to leave and every reason to stay.

There was no evidence that a crime had been committed.  No blood, no forced entry, so no crime.  It was alluded that we were lucky to get the minute amount of investigation that we got.  I've often thought about being a detective, I enjoy research and investigation.  I enjoy watching detective shows, Law & Order: SVU being one of my favorites, although it has become harder to watch since my brother's disappearance.  Let me tell you what I have learned......real life is nothing like television.  Every drama isn't wrapped up in a nice little package within the hour, the bad guy doesn't always get caught, and justice doesn't always prevail.

I would venture to say that my family and I did the majority of the investigating.  We interviewed witnesses, we tracked the transfer of property, we were able to get records when the police couldn't.  And yet, the case still remains unsolved.

And lest you think it is ALL bad, let me tell you what else I have learned.  We ALL make an impact and we will ALL be remembered.  If you had asked my brother who would miss him when he was gone, he probably would have had a short list.  Nowhere on that list would have been the mail clerk at the post office who had to leave the room because she was crying when she heard about my brother.  Nor would his childhood friends who hadn't seen him in years and yet lament over his disappearance.   I have seen such an outpouring of love and support, and I will always remember your kindness.

Below you will find just a few of the websites on which my brother is listed.  The one for Project Jason is quite informative as it has many of the articles that have been written.

I have opted to keep this post relatively short, as there is so much more that could be told.  Most of what I haven't shared is to protect the innocent, but unfortunately in doing so I also protect the accused.  Feel free to ask me any questions, anytime.  Depending on the day and the hour I may break down in tears or I may answer with no problem, please know this was bound to occur with or without your questions.  Never feel guilty for seeking answers, I don't.





http://www.anchoragecrimestoppers.com/missing.aspx

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/ast/abi/docs/bulletins/bonds.pdf

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4318

http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=129.0

http://www.thenorthernlight.org/2012/04/17/samantha-koenig-a-tragic-wake-up-call

http://www.lbth.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200401699S

5 comments:

  1. Not a day goes by that in one way or another I seem to think of Damon. That brings me to think of you, his parents, his son, other family members and his friends! Thinking, man this feels like crap not having answers, not just from the beginning, but 8 freakin years later, still no answers......
    If this feels this bad for me, his Aunt, and his Uncle, then I dare to try and imagine how you and his parents must go through daily. I can only say "we are so so sorry".
    As always and forever, we do meet a lot of people from all over the world, having lived and living in tourists areas, we always take the opportunity to tell our nephews story.
    We hope with everything in us that one day, a person no matter who it is or where their at, will say "oh, yeah, I have seen that guy, or oh yeah, I heard someone say something one night at the bar", or "oh my gosh, I did see something, I just didn't know at the time it had to do with Damon".
    One day.........and until then, Damon, we love and miss you and will never, ever stop looking for you or asking questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you or any of the other family have contact with Damon's ex & his son? How old is his son now? My heart goes out to you guys! Hugs!!! -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my grandmother is still in contact with her. In fact, we just took a family vacation with his son, who is now 8.

    ReplyDelete
  4. has anyone ever investigated the ex?



    ReplyDelete